Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Emotional Rollercoaster

I went off of the evil Depo-Provera on 8/24/06. This means by all the information I had received up to that point that I should have been back to my normal pre depo self by 11/24/06. My body was so out of whack I didn't have my first cycle until 2/07. And then it was every 2 months from there. Most doctors won't do anything for you until you have been trying to conceive for at least a year on your own. So when I went for my yearly check up in 9/07 I finally was able to talk to my doctor about my issues. She gave me Provera which was to bring on a cycle. Then on day 21 I was to have a blood test to see if I was ovulating. Which I knew that I wasn't because I was taking my basal body temperature at the time. For some reason, that cycle didn't even last 21 days. So I had to wait until day 21 of the next cycle. I got the blood test and the results were just as I predicted, negative. So my doctor told me she wanted me to have a test called hysterosalpingogram (hsg). It is a test in which they shoot dye into your fallopian tubes and watch it through an x-ray to see of your tubes are blocked. I had that test done in 10/07 and everything came back normal. The doctor told me I should be a "fertile mertile" now.



So that brings us to 11/07. I still wasn't ovulating on my own so my doctor told me about a drug called Clomid. It is supposed to make you ovulate. I was all for it once I found out that it doesn't really increase your chances of having multiples. I didn't want to have 6 babies at once. So I started out on 50 mg on days 5-9 of my cycle. Then I had more blood work done on day 21 to see if the drug worked and I ovulated. That test came back negative again so I was prescribed 100 mg. Now, I should tell you that when reading the print out that comes with all prescription drugs I found a side effect that I found pretty funny. It actually said that one of the most common side effects was "an emotional roller coaster." With the 50 mg I wasn't too bad. But when they upped my dose, I turned into a monster. I would cry for no reason and then turn around and get really crappy with Big John for no reason at all. Yes, those were trying times. The first month I was on 100 mg, I actually ovulated!! So we continued with that dosage for the next few months. I would have to be seen by the doctor on day 28,29, or 30 of each cycle so that they could check and make sure my ovaries weren't hyper stimulated or that I didn't have any cysts and then they would give me my next prescription. Well, each month I was totally convinced I was pregnant! Only to have my hopes diminished in the office.



When I went for my monthly appointment at the end of March, the nurse practitioner I had been seeing said that if this round of Clomid didn't work for me then she wanted me to see one of the doctors in her office. She said that they were more experienced with infertility and there was nothing else she could do for me. She also decided to up my dose again to 150 mg. She said that it wouldn't hurt to try it. So off I went with my new prescription and I scheduled my follow up appointment with the same doctor that did my HSG.



My emotions were running rampid with this new dosage. I felt like it was the first time I had taken Clomid. I had an appointment for 4/22 with the new doctor. I was due to start my period on 4/24. So I knew that it was kind of early for my appointment and that there was a chance that I could still be pregnant and not get a positive result at the appt. So off we went to the office. I always start out with a urine test if I hadn't started my period yet. So I made sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day so I would have to pee when I got there. It was a while before the doctor came in. As soon as he did I just knew that my test came back positive. He came in and asked me how I was feeling. I told him I had been very nauseous and my poor boobs were really really sore! He said that my test came back (insert dramatic pause here)... positive!!! I was finally pregnant. He said that the line was very very faint and he had to ask someone else to make sure the line was really there. So he had them draw my blood to check my HcG levels and sent me on my way.



The next day I got a call and they told me that my levels were consistent with being about 4 weeks pregnant. But they wanted to do the test again to make sure the levels were increasing like they were supposed to. So I had another blood test done 48 hours after the first one. They called me and said that the levels were increasing like they should and everything looks good. So we could officially celebrate now!!!

1 comment:

Big John said...

Amen to the "emotional rollercoaster!" But you are still my love!