Wednesday, October 8, 2008

That's not my hip!!!

I am 28 weeks today! Finally, the start of my third trimester!! WHOO HOOO!!!!! I had my regular OB check-up yesterday. It was a very quick appointment. It kind of sucks that it takes longer for us to drive to the office than I spend with the doctor. But I guess that’s the way it’s going to be for the rest of the time. My weight is still the same that it was 2 weeks ago. My blood pressure was perfect! Eli’s heartbeat was 141. The doctor measured my fundal height (the distance from my pubic bone to the top of my uterus) and said that Eli is measuring even more ahead than he was two weeks ago! I just can’t believe how fast he is growing in there! At this rate, if I go full term, I’m going to have a 12 pound baby!! I am really planning on delivering the first part of December instead of my New Years Eve due date. The doctor didn’t seem concerned at all that he is so big. But I guess, looking at Big John he figures that it just runs in the family.

Because I have negative blood and Big John has positive blood, I had to get a shot called Rhogam. If the baby ends up having positive blood then my body could attack it as a foreign object. Rhogam prevents this from happening. I knew going in yesterday that I had to get the shot. The nurse comes in and asks which hip I want the shot in. I asked if I could get it in my arm and she said no because the needle is too long for the arm. It has to go in the hip. Now if any of you know me, you know how terrified I am of needles. So hearing that it was “too big” to go in my arm, I broke out into a cold sweat and started getting very scared. So she had me get up and lean over the table as far as I could. Yeah right. I’m pregnant, remember? I can’t lean over a table with my pregnant belly in the way. So I pretty much put my arms on the table and leaned over as far as I could and dropped my pants. Now I have to explain that these exam rooms are very small. So when I dropped my pants and leaned over the table, my big ol’ pregnant butt was pointed right at Big John’s face. Not the most flattering position to be in. But he’s a good sport and didn’t make a single comment about it. I felt the nurse rubbing the little alcohol pad on me and I realized that when she said hip she meant right in the fleshiest part of my right butt cheek!! Before I knew what was happening, she pinched my skin and shoved that big ol' needle straight into my butt! I don’t know why they do this. If you’re going to give me a shot in the butt, tell me it’s going in my butt not my hip!! That way I know what to expect.

In all honesty, it wasn’t as bad as I expected it to be. It was tender for a few hours when I sat down but today it’s fine. I have to get another shot right after I deliver Eli. But for now, I’m good to go.

Tonight we go to the hospital to pre-register and start the paperwork for the birth certificate. We also get to take a tour of the birthing center. I am really anxious to see what the labor rooms look like.

I will have Big John take a picture of my belly tonight and depending how bad it looks, I may or may not post it on here tomorrow

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Get lots of sleep now before the baby comes and try to remember what it's like to just be the two of you as a couple, because soon you'll hardly remember life before baby!