Monday, September 29, 2008

How Big John and I came to be... The Final Chapter

Big John's actual birthday was on Saturday and his family always went out to dinner. So he asked if I would like to go out to dinner with him and meet his family. I was so nervous. I was going to meet his entire family at once! But I went to the restaurant determined not to make a fool out of myself. We went to The Olive Garden for dinner. He had chosen this restaurant because it was his favorite and they had one in my town. So he and his family drove an hour to come and eat dinner just so I could go also. Big John was a DJ on the radio but he also had a side job of dj’ing in the bars on the weekends. He had to work that night so we only had time for a quick dinner and then he had to go. So it actually went well. I thought I had made a pretty good first impression on his parents. At least on his mom and Grandmother. I had already made an impression on his dad and brother and it wasn’t a good one. We parted after dinner with a quick kiss and a promise for him to call me the next day.

I went home floating on air and told my mom that I thought this guy was The One. She just smiled because she had heard it a few times before. But I knew this was different. I had never felt the way he made me feel. I had never looked forward to someone’s phone calls as much as I did his. I never grew tired of talking to him. We would talk on the phone for hours much to our parents chagrin due to the massive long distance bills we racked up.

We decided to have our first real date on Tuesday. It was a few weeks after we had met and we still hadn’t been out by ourselves. So he came to pick me up and met the rest of my family he didn’t meet before. Then he wisked me off to dinner. He was the perfect gentleman all night. He opened my doors for me and waited until I got in the car and closed it for me. I, being the considerate person that I am, would then lean over and unlock his door for him so he wouldn’t have to use the key. Later he told me that that was my test and I had passed with flying colors. He said any girl that wouldn’t unlock his door for him would fail his test and he was so glad that I didn’t fail.

I am a firm believer in the fact that you shouldn’t waste time on someone that you have nothing in common with. So during dinner that night I played 20 questions. If you ask Big John today it was more like 300 questions. But I was determined to get to know him well enough to decide if we had enough in common. I was amazed at just how similar we were. We both loved country music. We both were the youngest child in the family. Neither of us had been married or had any children which was amazing by itself. We were both very close to our family and our families were one of the most important things in our lives. We both wanted children some day. We both love to sing which we already knew.

We had both had our hearts shattered by previous loves. Mine was a little more recent than his. But the important thing was that we had learned our lesson and were determined not to let history repeat itself. I knew that this was a man that I could trust with my heart but even still I had a hard time letting go at first. Then I realized that I needed to let go and just learn to love. So that is what I did. I threw myself into this relationship and never looked back. And I have never looked back since then.

Our fourth wedding anniversary is next Thursday. I have never loved my husband more than I do today and I will probably love him even more tomorrow. I know you probably think I'm full of crap but we have never really fought. We've had disagreements but we have always been able to work things out right then. We have had some rough times also. But they have only brought us closer together. And now that we are expecting our first child, our love is deeper than I ever thought possible. I love him with every ounce of my being. He is the perfect man for me and I don't know what I would do without him. So, Big John, if you are reading this, I love you. Thank you for the best four years of my life. I look forward to many more years together. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you too sweetheart, and it was more like a million questions!