Thursday, December 4, 2008

36 week appointment

Big John and I went to our 36 week check up yesterday. We had an ultrasound to see how big Eli is since I have been measuring ahead the whole time. At 36 weeks an average baby weighs about 6 pounds. Eli tipped the scales at a whopping 7 pounds 11 ounces already. Yes that is no typo. He weighs 7 pounds 11 ounces already!! That is more than some newborns I have been around! So the plan right now is we go for our next appt. on Tuesday. Between now and then my doctor's (I see 3 different ones) are going to talk and come up with a plan of action. I will be induced either next week or the week of Dec. 15th. Since we are inducing before I will be 39 weeks I have to have an amniocentesis done to make sure his lungs are fully developed and ready for him to breathe. So here is what I am hoping will happen. We will go to our appt. on Tuesday and they will do the amnio that day. The results will come back the next day and we'll be good to go. And then we will check into the hospital on Friday Dec. 12th to be induced. Like I said, that is what I'm hoping for. That doesn't necessarily mean that's what is going to happen.

I lost 2 pounds from my last appt 2 weeks ago. So I have lost a total of 12 pounds this pregnancy. Which tells me that Eli is sucking all the food I put into my body!!

The doctor did mention that Eli's renal pelvis is dilated a little tiny bit. But there is no cause for concern about it right now. He will have to have an ultrasound done on his kidneys after he's born to see if it's still dilated. If it is, he will just have to be on antibiotics for a few days. So no worries!!

I have a list of things I want to accomplish this weekend just in case they do schedule our induction for sometime next week. I want to make sure that my house is clean and all the laundry is done. I need to finish packing our hospital bags. But I am pretty sure that everything is done that needs to be done for Eli. His room is all ready for him to come home!! I like to go back there and just imagine what he's going to look like. I can't wait to be able to hold him!!!

I am still planning on having a drug free birth. Well, except for the drugs they have to give me to induce. But I am planning on having a pain medicine free birth. The way I see it is I have nothing to compare the contractions to. So for all I know my contractions aren't going to be any worse than they would be if I went into labor on my own. And please if you are going to comment, don't tell me your horror stories. If you want to leave a comment about your induction, tell me how wonderful it was or don't tell me anything at all. I don't need any negative comments about how I shouldn't induce or how bad my labor will be. I will never understand why women do that too each other. We should be supportive of each other and cheer someone on instead of telling them how horrible something will be...

So for right now we are at a stand still unless I happen to go into labor on my own between now and Tuesday afternoon. But I don't think that's very likely since I'm not dilated at all yet! The doctor did tell us one way to bring on labor naturally is to have lots of sex. I think Big John kind of liked that idea!!!

No comments: