Friday, May 22, 2009

The year of the Bible

I read a news article that appalled me this morning. It seems that the Georgia Representative Paul Broun has introduced a bill that, if passed, would deem the year 2010 as the Year of the Bible. He says the bill seeks to recognize that the Bible played an integral role in the building of the United States, including providing the basis for our freedom of religion that allows Muslims, Hindus and even atheists to vocalize their own beliefs.

But wouldn't you know said atheists and others are protesting the bill saying that it’s an endorsement of religion by the federal government, and we shouldn’t be doing that.

Ok so here's where I get on my soap box...

If you look at our country today you will see suffering, despair, and sin everywhere you look. I happen to think that maybe if people weren't so afraid to "endorse" religion, our country wouldn't be in the shape that it's in. It hurts me to read the news everyday and to listen to reports of joblessness, homelessness, and the lack of morals that seems to affect everyone.

This is a direct quote from the article on Yahoo. When I read it, I was absolutely devastated.

Atheists, who might feel themselves a particular target with the declaration of a biblical year, aren’t even worried about Broun’s effort.

“Right now, we’re seeing atheism on such a rise,” said David Silverman, vice president and national spokesman of American Atheists, a group dedicated to fighting for the civil rights of atheists.

“We are seeing Christianity on such a dramatic decline that we’re not particularly worried about it. We’re thinking that this kind of old-style George W. Bush Republicanism is about to go away,” Silverman said, referring to the latest Pew Forum survey of American religious life, which showed nonreligious Americans as the fastest-growing group.

That is the saddest statement I have ever heard.

I grew up going to church every Sunday. But once I got to the age that I could decide for myself, I decided that I didn't need church and that I would rather sleep in on Sunday mornings. I did this for quite a few years. I never considered myself an atheist. I always have and always will believe that there is a God in heaven.

A few years ago, Big John and I were struggling with infertility and I was about at rock bottom. I thought about it and decided to try going back to church. In my mind, it couldn't hurt anything. We found a church that we love and look forward to going to each and every Sunday. After a few Sunday's, we decided that we wanted to get serious about this and dedicate ourselves back to the Lord. Almost immediately, my life changed. And so did my outlook on my life and my problems. We have had the most wonderful few years and I don't hesitate to credit it to the fact that we joined our church and gave our lives to God.

I know that there is a lot of turmoil in the world today. I happen to think that maybe this is God's wake up call to us all. Maybe this is His way of saying- Hey I'm still here even if you did forget about me. Stop denying my existence and things won't be so bad. I am not saying that God is vengeful. I think he is just reminding us Christians that we need to stand up and be heard. We, as a society, are so concerned about everyone's civil rights. What about Christians civil rights? Don't we have the right to say a prayer in school? Don't we have a right to have In God We Trust on our money? Don't we have a right to practice our religious beliefs without being looked down on?

I understand that we need to respect everyone's opinions and choices. But don't tell me that I can teach my child to pray and then have to tell him that he can't pray in public. Don't tell me that the phrase one nation under God is offensive. I find your lack of faith offensive. But I don't try to tell you that you have to honor my beliefs.

Think back to the 1950's. Crime wasn't nearly as bad as it is now. Our country was in a lot better shape than it is now. People weren't afraid to let their children walk down the streets. You didn't worry if your child’s teacher, or neighbor, or bus driver, or Scout leader was a child molester. People had morals. People were Christians. People had religion. Our country as a whole had religion. And we weren't afraid to stand up and say so.

I for one am not going to be afraid to stand up for what I believe in. No one is going to tell me that I don't have the right to display my religion. If you don't like it, don't listen, or look, or read. If you don't understand why I do it, ask me and I would be glad to talk to you about it. If you agree, STAND UP WITH ME AND BE PROUD!! Don't be afraid to tell people that you are a Christian and you believe in God. If everyone could do that, maybe Christianity wouldn't be on such a dramatic decline in our country.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

EcdLiePctLgf [url=http://adidas51.webnode.jp/]nike エア[/url]UpsDhwLgoTrn [url=http://nikeonline.blog.fc2blog.net/]nike id[/url]NcpDtsBkrEyz [url=http://nikeair350.blog.fc2.com/]nike シューズ[/url]XdqYplBzaDai [url=http://nikeshose.blog.fc2.com/]nike スニーカー[/urlUfxFgdGkmWlq [url=http://nikeonlie11.blog.fc2blog.net/]ナイキ[/url]OdpQjxGjaGrv [url=http://ナイキシューズ.seesaa.net/]free nike[/url]AlgTziNxhZgl [url=http://シューズナイキ.seesaa.net/]free nike[/url]ZoePzjDsvFmh [url=http://nikeair11.seesaa.net/]スニーカーナイキ[/url]WahFitEngMdy [url=http://niker.seesaa.net/]nike[/url] DknXfbNddBzv [url=http://nikeshose11.blog.fc2.com/]nike free[/url]MveSpbPzoHbr

Anonymous said...

You need cookware that allows heat to become dispersed evenly. You will be almost certainly quite familiar with pans that have sizzling spots. Hot spots are locations within the pan exactly where the meals cooks disproportionately more rapidly than inside the rest in the pan. Cookware with even heat distribution is imperative in case you are significant regarding the food you cook. The problem with copper, forged iron, and aluminum cookware is that certain meals will take up a steel style and colour in the pans, not to mention you may ingest a few of the steel that is transferred towards the food. Copper will scratch and discolors effortlessly, but each and every cook must have a minimum of one particular copper bowl for beating egg whites. Copper bowls will allow you to defeat eggs whites to their Red Bottom Shoes optimum quantity. Red Bottom Shoes What They are And Where To Uncover Great Offers On Them! [url=http://www.christianlouboutinheelsus.com/christian-louboutin-cadaques-flat-mens-high-top-suede-sneakers-black-cheap-1836.html]2012 New Arrival Most Cheap Christian Louboutin Cadaques Flat Mens High Top Suede Sneakers Black [M0010-DSC_0906] Sale With Free Shipping [/url]

inexpensive
as it is
numbering follows
along with
cheap louboutin shoes uk during

Christian Louboutin sneakers for women are newest design. With casual, convenient element, Christian Louboutin shoes for women have become women' first choice on leisure time.

Related help links:http://www.christianlouboutinheelsus.com/christian-louboutin-rolando-hiddenplatform-black-pumps-cheap-1458.html